Thursday, January 26, 2012

"Did you see the thing I just pinned?"

So, I was told that my blog posts are not exactly on track with the "suggested" topics. Don't worry though, this post will still be in Ally fashion. Regardless if it has a new media twist to it.

It is true, I am officially an addict of yet another thing (I have a lot of addictions ... thanks Blogger for helping me realize them). I have an addiction to the one-and-only... Pinterest. The wonderful, idea giving, idea sharing, humorous, and very addictive new social site (well, new to me). For those of you who do not know what Pinterest is, it is a site that you have to be invited to join. (I know, it sounds fancy but I am pretty sure everyone gets in). Let's not ruin my joy of feeling important. Anyways, Pinterest is an addictive waste of time. Sure, it gives me great ideas for cute outfits, shoes, my future house, future wedding, and of course laughs but it is a HUGE waste of time and distraction. I find myself sitting on it for hours just searching for the next best pin. Why is my generation so freaking obsessed with social media and social websites? Why do we find it "fun" to sit online for hours and hours searching for stupid things? Don't ask me, I sure as hell can't tell you. 

My New Media professor took a survey on how many people in our class use at least one social media website (Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, etc). Every person raised their hand. Ridiculous. Sickening. Not surprising. Social networking is what our generation grew up on. We were using computers in elementary school (well, I was at least). It makes me wonder what our lives would be like if there were no computers, tablets, iPods, cell phones. It would SUCK if you asked me. I rely on my phone for emails for work and school, entertainment, and most importantly communication. Not having technology would be asinine. However, why do we need to use it as much as we do? Again, no one knows. 


Back to Pinterest. Please do not ask me why I find it fun to sit, pin, and re-pin pictures. I DON'T KNOW! (It is all my friend Kelsie's fault to be accurate ha). I told her not to get me started because I knew I would be hooked. What happened? BAM! Pinning until I can pin no more. (Technically, that can never happen. There are millions of pins to be found). It is very interesting to see what the people you follow are interested. Why do we care? It is like status updates in picture form. It's awesome. The pictures in this post are hilarious pins I found. I am now also obsessed with e-cards but who is counting.

The bottom line is, yes our generation is addicted to technology. Yes, I am addicted to Pinterest (and many many other things). Yes, it is becoming so obsessive that we cannot put our devices down for ten minutes. Yes, I got a little off topic of this post's intentions. However, what do people expect from us? We were given technology at such a young age. Just like swearing, it was inevitable that technology was going to become a major part of our lives. It is that very reason (and Kelsie) that I am now a Pinterest addict. It is the newest (again, to me) social network that people are joining. It's like drugs, once you start it will be hard to stop. You will just want to pin, pin, pin. 

oh.so.pinterest 

2 comments:

  1. If it's any consolation, it's not just your generation. Mine also is addicted and we don't even have the excuse of using computers since childhood. Technology and instant communication, the 24 hour news cycle etc., are all addictive and fun! And I love it!
    laureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. Our world is becoming, if not already, technology obsessed. It is the number one form of communication and yes, it is awesome and so much more convenient.

    ReplyDelete